We are offering E Catering services in train, want to book your food in train right at your seat? Just fill train journey details or Call – 08800313131 or Visit – www.travelkhana.com
Are you diffident at the thought of a long distance journey by Indian Railways? Does the prospect of unhygienic, boring and insipid meals available on the network repel you?
Now your options have changed. You can now order fresh food to be delivered in the train at the station of your choice. These are a few online services. All you need to do is to contact these vendors by online means, smart phones, or calling by mobile phones. You can select from a menu offered by these services and choose from among the enlisted stations.
TravelKhana.com is one such recent service. It has captured the hearts of Indian Railways travellers within a short period of time. It offers delicious and fresh meals to all passengers; from children who love sweets to elderly who have dietary restrictions.
Its efficacy and popularity has been recognized by the public; it won the IAMAI Travel Website of the year 2014. In 2013, it won the Start up of the Year Award from CNBC TV18.
How does it work?
TravelKhana.com has tied up with several restaurants near the route of major trains and at major stations. The site tracks the live running status of trains so that food orders are delivered promptly and in fresh and hygienic manner.
Booking through Website:
Log on to the website of travelkhana.com. Choose from menu and station to be delivered. Provide PNR number and station where you want delivery.
Booking through Phone:
Call travelkhana.com at customer care number 91 8800 313131. It works from 7 am to 10 pm daily. You have to provide details like PNR number, name of train and station where you want delivery.
There are special arrangements for those travelling in groups like pilgrims of students, especially when orders exceed Rs 2000. You can e-mail at email@example.com. The site specializes in E-catering to group orders and bulk food orders.
TravelKhana specializes in e-catering for train tours of:
- A wedding party needing dinner, lunch and breakfast at different stations.
- Students on an educational tour of India like a college or school tour.
- An official tour with office colleagues for meetings and conventions
- A tour of pilgrims needing special dietary requirements.
For all these groups, TravelKhana.com also provides help for group bookings. It is the best agent for those travelling by groups and caters to others like;
- Tour operators
- Travel agents
- Corporate travel desk
- Any others who want group tours.
What are the other benefits of TravelKhana.com?
- The hassle of booking and delivery of food is handled well by the computerized and fully automated system. Fresh meals are delivered using the computerized order system.
- Experience with main vendors helps the website to deliver meals efficiently.
- For group tours, there are more than 100 delivery locations.
- Special attention is paid to three aspects: hygiene, flavour and availability. They ensure that meals are delivered in the exact form as desired by customers.
- They cover thousands of trains, several hundreds of stations and millions of customers.
- You can choose from an attractive range of food items.
- They offer different cuisines like North India, South Indian, Chinese, Continental, Mughlai, non-vegetarian, vegetarian, snacks and soft drinks. Sample the local dishes according to the stations you pass. Graduate from a well travelled person to a well fed person.
- The food is hygienic and packed well. They make sure partner restaurants strictly adhere to quality and safety guidelines.
- Payment is very easy: You can pay online through card or net banking. But most people prefer to pay via cash on delivery. One must keep change ready if you wish to pay by COD.
- TravelKhana enables train travellers to place orders via phone, website, mobile app or SMS.
- TravelKhana also keeps tabs on the current running status of Indian Railways trains so that meals can be delivered on time, at the right berth, ready and fresh to eat.
Regarding the technology, TravelKhana has built its proprietary order-to-fulfilment product named ‘Oyatri”. This platform provides a solution for a complicated logistical problem; to deliver meals promptly to a moving target (passenger) and having only a limited opportunity to complete delivery (stop at station). On top of this, there is synchronization of work flow with train movement and timing of arrivals in real time.
For this service, all that is required is to search using either PNR number or destination/ search details and the website will present information on restaurants at the station where the train will stop. Point to be noted is that TravelKhana.com doesn’t cater to stations where train stops for less than five minutes. It also has a minimum order amount of Rs.90.
How vendors are selected?
The website is very careful while selecting vendors. Before tying up with a restaurant, extensive research is done. Some of the checking activities are online research, ascertaining reputation by visiting the locality and doing personal tasting of food. Factors considered are quality of kitchen equipment, inspection of hygiene, ability to provide service in a time frame and quality of packing.
At many stations, local and regional brands have tied up with the website. There is an ongoing feedback system with customers, which keeps the service on its toes. The website keeps constant communication with the restaurants. In cases, where there is lag in quality, that restaurant is dropped from the list of travelkhana.com.
As a fast growing player in the market, the objective is to garner much traction without a head on collisions with the IR network. In any case, the website has tremendous potential. Because of rise in air fares, traffic by railways is set to grow by a healthy 8-10 % per year till 2020. This implies more than 6 million meals consumed daily on long distance trains.
The website was begun by Pushpinder Singh- a technocrat. He has expanded his vision to introduce services of TravelKhana to bus travel, as well. In addition, he is also ready to venture into other value added services of Indian Railways like hotel bookings and taxi services.
Author’s bio: He is a freelance journalist interested in travel. Having travelled extensively in the Indian subcontinent particularly by Indian railways, he is well acquainted with all aspects of rail travel. He contributes articles to the website www.travelkhana.com.